Two days ago, the MetroDailyNews featured the story of a married couple with an ancestor on opposing sides of the Salem Witch Trials, and it reminded me of the Adams connection to those events.
One oral family story tells of our lineage containing one juror and one victim during the Salem Witch Trials. These individuals would have been from different families, well before joining lines.
Geraldine’s book documents our juror as John Batcheller, however, no-one is identified as the accused.
We may be connected to Alice or Mary Parker (both executed) through Thomas Rand and Elizabeth Parker, however, I cannot make a clear connection at this time. Research pending.
Our family is directly related to John Batcheller (1637/38-1698, Generation 3) through David Batcheller (1781-1822, Generation 7) & Elizabeth Collins Bowler (1783-1858).
Notes for John Batcheller from a copy of the material in Batchelder-Batchellor Genealogy by F. C. Pierce, 1898 pp 349, 350, and 351
John Batcheller was born about 20 January 1637/38 in Wenham MA, and died 17 November 1698 in Wenham MA. He married (1) Mary Dennis 12 July 1661. She died 26 June 1665. He married (2) Sarah Goodale 04 May 1666, daughter of Robert Goodale. She was born in Salem, Essex, MA, and died 22 March 1728/29).
John Batcheller was one of the jury that tried the famous witchcraft cases in Salem. With the other members of the Jury, in 1692, he signed a statement asking forgiveness for the error of their judgement [below]. The Jury had acted in conformity with their obligation and honest convictions of duty in bringing their verdicts. They had sworn to decide according to the law and the evidence. The law under which they were required to act was laid down with absolute positiveness by the Court. They were bound to receive it and to take and weigh the evidence that was admitted, and to their minds it was clear, decisive, and overwhelming, offered by persons of good character, and confirmed by the great number of confessions. As the publication of this paper was highly honorable to those who signed it and cannot but be contemplated with satisfaction by all their descendants, I will repeat their names:
“We whose names are underwritten, being in the year 1692 called to serve as jurors in court at Salem on trial of many who were by some suspected guilty of doing acts of witchcraft upon the bodies of sundry persons, we confess that we ourselves were not capable to understand nor able to withstand, the mysterious delusions of the powers of darkness and Prince of the air, but were, for want of knowledge in ourselves and better information from others, prevailed with to take with such evidence against the accused, as, on further consideration and better information, we justly fear was insufficient for the touching the lives of any whereby we fear we have been instrumental, with others, though ignorantly and unwittingly, to bring upon ourselves and this people of the Lord the guilt of innocent blood; which sin the Lord saith in Scripture he would not pardon that is, we suppose in regard to his temporal judgements. We do therefore hereby signify to all in general, and to the surviving sufferers in special, our deep sense of, and sorrow for, our errors in acting on such evidence to the condemning of any person; and do hereby declare that we justly fear that we were sadly deluded and mistaken – for which we are much disquieted and distressed in our minds, and do therefore humbly beg forgiveness, first of God, for Christ’s sake for this our error, and pray that God would impute the guilt of it to ourselves nor others, and we also pray that we may be considered candidly and aright by the living sufferers, as being then under a strong and general delusion, utterly unacquainted with, and not experienced in, matters of that nature.
We do hereby ask forgiveness of you all, whom we have justly offended and do declare according to our present minds, we would none of us do such things again, on such grounds, for the whole world – praying you to accept of this in way of satisfaction for our offense, and that you would bless the inheritance of the Lord, that he may be entreated for the land. (Signed) Thomas Fisk, foreman; Thomas Pearly, Sr.; William Fisk; John Peabody; John Bacheler; Thomas Perkins; Thomas Fisk; Samuel Sayer; John Dane; Andrew Eliot; Joseph Evelith; and Henry Herrick, Sr.”
A few folks have been asking: where is the house that Mr. Adams picked up and turned around because of a disagreement with his neighbor?
The answer is: the house at 7 Richmond St., Haverhill, MA, moved by John Frederick Adams (Generation #9).
7 Richmond St., Haverhill, MA
[click here for Google Map]
I am not 100% sure, but an informal search has identified this house (pictured above), which fits details documented by Garry Adams in 2000 in the following ways:
- Faces away from the street
- Aerial view shows a body of water that may have been a pool (or pond)
However, it differs from Garry’s description in that she noted:
- The pillars on the house were gone
- The house had been turned into a duplex
The real estate listing above states that the house was built in 1900, and is a Single Family property.
Efforts to verify the location of John Frederick’s house at 7 Richmond St. are being made by following up with the Haverhill Public Library. (The source of this story was Librarian, Gregory Laing.)
Sadly, it appears to have been foreclosed and is up for sale!
Last weekend, Newbury, MA began a year-long celebration of its 375th anniversary with tours of the town’s historic houses. Among these was the Highfield Estate.
According to the celebration’s official site, Newbury375.org: “Built in 1705, this is one of the few remaining garrison houses. From this house Abraham Adams and three sons* went to the Revolutionary War.”
“Located on the site originally called The High Field, near the Newbury Falls.”
Abraham Adams House (‘Highfield Estate’)
1705 Pearson Drive, off of Orchard Street [click here for Google Map]
-All images NPLA
From Judge Sewell’s Diary:
Capt. Abraham Adams lived where his descendant, George W. Adams does now. He was an enterprising sea captain, who launched coasters from the river in front of his house. The present homelike and interesting house, which is rich in heirlooms, was built by him, it is said, in 1705. His wife, Anne, was the daughter of William and Anne (Sewall) Longfellow. Mr. Adams has in admirable preservation a highly interesting ancient deed. In it Samuel Sewall and his wife, Hannah, deed to Sergt. Abraham Adams half "the High Field," which still bears its ancient and fitting title, and half "the great Meadow" on the River Parker, and other land for five hundred pounds. The deed states that the property had been conveyed by Henry Sewall, the father of the Judge, to john Hull, the mint master, and implies that Hannah, the Judge’s wife, inherited it from John Hull, of whom she was "Daughter and sole heir." The deed is dated June 11, 1705. The property, while deeded to Sergt. Abraham Adams, was "intended for a settlement" for his son, Captain Abraham, "who married with Anne Longfellow, niece of the said Samuel Sewall." So substantial a present from the uncle and aunt of the bride must have been very encouraging to the newly wedded pair.
Recent/current photos of the Highfield Estate have not been found, but would be appreciated. Please contact the author or leave a comment if you would like to submit materials.
*Our family’s generations #3 & #4 —Jules
 Page 91, The Story of Byfield by John Lewis Ewell, D.D., The University Press Cambridge, USA, 1904
Henry Shaw24 Adams (John Frederick23, John22, Joseph Henry21, John20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 09 June 1877 in Haverhill, Essex, MA and died 09 July 1962 in Chester, SC. He married Marie Clifford 21 September 1909 in Union, South Carolina, daughter of John Clifford and Mary Schofield. She was born 09 January 1881 in Union, South Carolina and died 06 June 1950 in Chester, South Carolina.
Notes for Henry Shaw Adams:
From letters of Henry Shaw Adams 1960, 1961, 1962 and information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams in her handwriting, in the file of Gareldine A. Adams, Albuquerque, NM. Henry was named for a family friend, Henry Southworth Shaw. For many years before his retirement, Mr. Adams was a vice president of the Springmaid Cotton Mills in Chester, South Carolina, where he lived in a lovely ‘Southern’ home.
Children of Henry Adams and Marie Clifford are:
|i.||Henry Shaw25 Adams, Jr., b. 20 May 1911, Union, South Carolina; d. 13 February 1986, Granby, CT; m. Virginia Belknap, 07 September 1940; b. 16 October 1916
Notes for Henry Shaw Adams, Jr.:
From the local paper in Granby, CT: “Henry S. Adams, 74, of 19 Intervale Road, Granby, CT, died Thursday (February 13) at a local nursing home. Born in Chester, SC, lived in Avon, moving to Granby 2 years ago. Graduated from Antioch College in 1932 and was employed by IBM in New York 9 years where he met and married his wife, Virginia. During World War II, he was employed by Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Division of United Technology, East Hartford, retiring in 1976 after 29 years, from the Emhart Corporation., then in Bloomfield where he was a supervisor of the data processing department. An avid tennis player, he was a member of the Granby Tennis Club and for many years was active with the Boy Scouts of America in Granby. He leaves his wife, Virginia.”
|ii.||Amie Marguerite Adams, b. 20 June 1919, Chester, South Carolina; d. About 1997|
Elizabeth Rand24 Adams (John Frederick23, John22, Joseph Henry21, John20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 21 January 1879 in Haverhill, Essex, MA and died 28 March 1968 in Plainfield, NJ. She married Fred J. Cox 10 October 1905 in Haverhill, MA; son of Charles Cox and Ann Trask. He was born 25 September 1880 in Maine, and died 08 February 1958 in Plainfield, NJ.
Notes for Elizabeth Rand Adams:
Information about this family was supplied by Elizabeth Adams Cox. The letters with this information are in the possession of Gareldine Adams, Albuquerque, NM. She taught cooking in the Haverhill schools before her marriage (1904).
Notes for Fred J. Cox:
President of the Boynton Bros. Insurance Company of Perth Amboy, New Jersey at the time of his death. He was a Civil War Buff and directed that his ashes be scattered over Gettysburg National Battlefield in Pennsylvania.
Children of Elizabeth Adams and Fred Cox are:
|i.||Elizabeth Rand25 Cox, b. 24 October 1908, Perth, Amboy, NJ; d. 09 November 1950, Plainfield, NJ|
|ii.||Robert Trask Cox, b. 04 June 1911, Perth, Amboy, NJ|
|iii.||Richard N. Cox, b. 23 April 1916, Perth, Amboy, NJ|
John Amos24 Adams (John Frederick23, John22, Joseph Henry21, John20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 10 January 1883 in Haverhill, Essex, MA, and died 27 July 1968 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM. He married Helen Belle Shields 16 July 1914 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM; daughter of John Shields and Isabella Leech. She was born 31 May 1891 in Jemez Pueblo, Sandoval, NM and died 07 January 1980 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM.
Notes for John Amos Adams:
BIOGRAPHY: Notes from John A. Adams, Frederick S. Adams.
DEATH: Certificate in possession of Gareldine Adams.
John was named for his father and his maternal grandfather, Amos S. Kelly. Raised and educated in Haverhill where the family resided at 35 Highland Avenue and No. 7 Richmond Street. Both these houses are still standing and in good condition. The people who now own No. 35 Highland took Gareldine & Fred S. Adams on a tour of it in the summer of 1983. They are attempting to refurbish it in the style of 1883 when the house was built.
Mr. Adams graduated from Haverhill High School and attended Harvard College, but did not graduate from there.
The house at 21 Windsor Street, where John and Helen Adams lived when their son, Frederick, was born is still standing and in good condition.
His early employment included work in Haverhill as a clerk and draughtsman. Other employment over the years included working at a General Electric company of Schenectady, NY; The Lewis Fales Company of Walpole, MA; Western Electric Co., Chicago, IL; American Brass Co. of Waterbury, CT; Haverhill National Bank, where his father had worked before him, and the Newport News Ship Building and Dry Dock Co. of Newport News, VA during WWI. Hard times of 1907 found him unemployed and jobs were scarce. Through a family friend, Ira A. Abbott, of Haverhill, who had been appointed Territorial Judge in Albuquerque, Territory of New Mexico, he learned of the opportunities in the West and was encouraged to go to New Mexico.
Early in 1908, he traveled to the Territory and landed a job doing ranch work on a ranch on the east slope of the Magdalena Mountains. After a short time, he returned to Albuquerque and got a job with a sheep outfit run by Evan Vogt and financed by Mr. Tabor, who ran a store in Glorietta. He spent the winter with a band of sheep west of Albuquerque in the Rio Puerco country and when the sheep were brought to the Rio Grande Valley near Albuquerque (now known as Corrales), he took advantage of this to take a government examination for Forest Ranger.
While waiting a call for employment, he returned to Chicago to work for Western Electric Co. He shortly received notice that an opening was available and returned to the West to enter the Forest Service as a Forest Guard on the Tonto National Forest in May of 1909. The following year, he was assigned to the Experiment Station at Fort Valley, Arizona and in the fall of 1910 was assigned as assistant Ranger on the Coconino National Forest. The next few years brought assignments on the Tusayan (later to be named Kaibab), Sitgreaves, Tonto, Apache and Coconino National Forest of Arizona and the Arkansas National Forest. Much of his work during this time was devoted to surveys and map compilation, as well as timber surveys and routine administrative work.
One of his interesting recollections of experiences while doing survey work on the Arkansas National Forest was of finding corner stakes which had been set by George Washington. These stakes were approximately three inches square, of cedar, and marked with the initials ‘G.W.’. During this work in Arkansas, Mr. Adams’ party had copies of Washington’s original notes, which they used to re-trace the early survey.
In April of 1912, he was assigned to the Jemez National Forest of New Mexico in charge of a reconnaissance party making maps, logging reports and timber estimates. It was during this assignment that he met Helen Belle Shields, daughter of Dr. John M. Shields, a medical missionary for the Presbyterian Church at Jemez Springs. John Adams and Helen Shields were married on 06 July 1914 at the First Presbyterian Church, Albuquerque, NM by the Reverend Hugh A. Cooper.
The spring of 1914 brought assignments on the Carson and Prescott National Forests of Arizona and promotion to Deputy Forest Supervisor of the Apache national Forest in Springerville, AZ. In the fall of 1918, as the outcome of his disagreement with general policy and a desire to return to the East, he moved his family to Haverhill, MA and lived at No. 21 Windsor Street. He is listed in the Haverhill City Directory of 1919 as a clerk at the City Five Cents Savings Bank. He went to work for the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. However, within six months it was obvious that this was not the life for them and in June of 1919, they returned to Arizona where he was assigned as a Forest Ranger at the Mormon Lake Ranger station 25 miles southeast of Flagstaff.
Mr. Adams recalls that when he left to go East, he had left his horse in Springerville with the Beckers, owners and operators of the General merchandise stores in the New Mexico and Arizona Territories, and upon his return to Arizona, he traveled to Springerville and rode his horse back to Mormon Lake – a trip of 130 miles as the crow flies, but considerably longer and more arduous over this rough country on a horse.
After this brief trip to the East, he continued his career with the Forest Service until retirement. He served as Deputy Supervisor for the Coconino, Flagstaff, AZ; Supervisor of the Manzano and Cibola National Forest, Albuquerque, NM; represented the Forest Service as a member of the interdepartmental Rio Grande Committee, spending much of his time in Washington, D.C. during assignment. Following this, he worked several years until retirement in Recreation and Lands under the Regional Forester with headquarters in Albuquerque.
He retired from the Forest Service in 1946, after a career spanning 37 years of Forestry and devoted the years until his death to active interest in the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico. He is buried next to his wife in the Jemez Community Presbyterian Church cemetery in Jemez Springs, NM.
Notes for Helen Belle Shields:
She was born at the Jemez Indian Pueblo, Jemez, New Mexico, where her father was a medical missionary. At one time, she was postmistress in the town of Jemez Springs (then called, Perea, NM). Helen attended a private girl’s high school in Santa Fe, NM, along with her sister, Bessie. The school was started by Martha Allison who came from the same town in PA as Dr. Shields. Helen was fluent in both Spanish and Tewa, the language of the Jemez Pueblo. After her marriage, she lived in Springerville and Tucson, AZ and later in Albuquerque, NM.
Until the death of her husband, they had a summer home in Jemez Springs and all her grandchildren enjoyed spending summer vacations with them. Helen played the organ for many years each Sunday in the little church her father established. She started playing for the church at the age of 11.
BIRTH/DEATH: Birth recorded in the Bible of Isabelle Ruhama (Leech) Shields, in possession of Frederick S. Adams, Sr., Albuquerque, NM. Death certificate also in possession of Frederick S. Adams, Sr.
Children of John Adams and Helen Shields are:
|i.||John Amos25 Adams, Jr., b. 27 March 1915, Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM; d. 25 August 2001, Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM; m. Lucille Simmons, 28 June 1940 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM|
|ii.||Edward Milton Adams, b. 13 October 1917, Springerville, Greenlee, AZ; d. 20 October 1917, Springerville, Greenlee, AZ
Notes for Edward Milton Adams:
His birth is recorded in the Bible of Helen Belle Shields Adams, in the possession of Frederick Shields Adams of Albuquerque. No trace of a grave in Springerville, AZ has been found.
|iii.||Frederick Shields Adams, Sr., b. 11 February 1919, Haverhill, Essex, MA; m. Gareldine Anderson 16 January 1944, Long Beach, Los Angeles, CA|
Paul Henry Adams, Sr., b. 16 October 1922, Flagstaff, Yavapai, AZ; m. Harriet Withers 12 July 1947 in Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM
John Frederick23 Adams (JOHN22, JOSEPH HENRY21, JOHN20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 08 January 1853 in Boston, Essex, MA, and died 02 February 1926 in Haverhill, Essex, MA. He married Amie Batcheller Kelly 06 June 1876 in Haverhill, MA daughter of Amos Kelly and Elizabeth Batcheller. She was born 23 October 1855 in Haverhill, MA and died 26 February 1948 in Haverhill, Essex, MA.
Notes for John Frederick Adams:
DEATH: Records from newspaper clippings, Haverhill, MA
OBITUARY/OCCUPATION: Much of this information was sent to Gareldine Adams as Xerox copies of Haverhill, MA newspapers from Gregory Laing, librarian of the Haverhill Public Library. Harry (Henry) Adams, before his death gave Gareldine Adams information on his family, as did John Amos Adams.
PARENTS/EDUCATION: Information from notes taken in an interview with Elizabeth Rand Adams Cox in her home in 1966, and from notes given to Gareldine Adams by his wife, Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams.
Mr. Adams was born in Boston, MA, where he attended private schools. His father died when he was but 16 years old and his mother, supposedly, shortly after. At the age of 18, he came to Haverhill, MA where his father’s sister lived. He resided in Haverhill, MA until his death.
He boarded with his Aunt, Mrs. J. E. Gale at “Buttonwoods” according to the Haverhill City Directory of 1872. Buttonwoods is now the home of the Haverhill Historical Society and is a museum. Mr. Adams worked as a teller in the Haverhill Savings Bank until 1889 when he opened a bicycle shop. In 1891, he took over the insurance business of his Uncle, Edward F. Adams who died. He has since been connected with the insurance business, although he also had a bicycle shop. Mr. Adams was always interested in bicycles and was among the first residents of this city to own one. He became a member of the Boston Bicycle Club in 1880. He also owned one of the first automobiles in the city, a steam driven one. There is a list of Haverhill automobile owners and he is listed in 1904 as the owner of an 8hp Knox, which he kept until 1908. In 1908, he is listed as owning a 20hp Oakland.
In 1889, the family was living at 35 Highland Avenue. In 1902, the place of residence is given in the city directory as 7 Richmond Street. In 1916, it is again listed as 35 Highland Avenue. They supposedly moved to Richmond Street when the house on Highland proved to be too small for their large family.
There is an interesting anecdote in regards to the Richmond Street house, as told by the Librarian, Gregory Laing. It seems they originally built the house with pillars and porch facing the street. After a bit, Mr. Adams had a feud with a neighbor across the street, and to show his displeasure, had the house picked up and turned around so that the back door faced the street. The front door still faces the back yard. (The house was built of wood, fortunately, and not brick.) In 1997, the pillars were gone and there is now a swimming pool in the back yard. The house has been turned into a duplex.
The Poll Tax list for the year 1895 lists J. Fred Adams, age 42; in 1902, it lists Adams, J. Fred as 48 years of age and Adams, Henry S. age 25. In 1905, J. Fred is 51, Henry S. is 28 and John A. is 22. J. Fred is listed as selling Insurance and bicycles. Henry is listed as a salesman and John A. as a clerk.
Mr. Adams is buried in the Kelly family plot, Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, MA.
Notes for Amie Batcheller Kelly:
Birth date was provided to Gareldine Adams by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams.
DEATH: Xerox copies of her obituary in the Haverhill, MA paper are in the possession of Geraldine Adams.
Amie graduated from Tilton Seminary, Tilton, NH. She graduated from La Salle University in 1874, which was unusual for that era. She was a member of the Haverhill Historical Society. She joined the Ladies Aid Society at the age of 10 years old. She was the daughter of Amos Sawyer Kelly and Elizabeth Bowler Batcheller.
Children of John Adams and Amie Batcheller are:
|i.||Henry Shaw24 Adams, b. 09 June 1877, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 09 July 1962, Chester, SC. m. Marie Clifford 21 September 1909, Union, South Carolina|
|ii.||Elizabeth Rand Adams, b. 21 January 1879, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 28 March 1968, Plainfield, NJ; m. Fred J. Cox, 10 October 1905, Haverhill, Essex, MA|
|iii.||Julia Marguerite Adams, b. 15 September 1881, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 14 February 1962, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Notes for Julia Marguerite Adams:
Personal notes from Elizabeth Cox Adams and J. Marguerite Adams. Death notice in the Haverhill, MA paper. The Haverhill Gazette, dated 29 September 1900 has a notice: “Miss Marguerite Adams, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Fred Adams of the Highlands, has entered the Normal School in Lowell, where she will prepare herself for kindergarten work.” She taught school in the primary grades in Haverhill, MA, until her retirement. She lived in the family home at 35 Highland Avenue, Haverhill, MA from her birth until shortly before her death.
|iv.||John Amos Adams, b. 10 January 1883, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 27 July 1968, Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM; m. Helen Belle Shields, 16 July 1914, Albuquerque, Bernalillo, NM|
|v.||Ward Adams, b. 21 July 1884, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 07 November 1884, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Notes for Ward Adams:
Information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams before her death. Gravestone in the Adams family plot, Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, MA
|vi.||Faith Kelly Adams, b. 05 December 1885, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 08 December 1947, Haverhill, Essex, MA; m. Dr. Thomas Francis Capeles, 29 August 1918, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 10 February 1948, Haverhill, Essex, MA
Notes for Faith Kelly Adams:
Information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams before her death.
Notes for Dr. Thomas Francis Capeles:
Frank was a physician – an eye, ear, nose & throat specialist – in Haverhill, MA. He died in 1948. Although Frank was a member of the Catholic Church, he and Faith are both buried in Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, MA, Section Y, Lot 987
|vii.||Edward Frederick Adams, b. 26 December 1887, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 12 March 1961, Haverhill, Essex, MA; m. (1) Catharine Ruddock, 07 October 1916, Haverhill, MA; m. (2) Cecilia Flynn, Aft. 1919; m. (3) Ruth Sturdevant, Aft. 1920
Notes for Edward Frederick Adams:
Information supplied by Amie Batcheller Kelly Adams before her death. He had an Insurance Agency in Haverhill, MA. The City Directory of 1919, Haverhill, MA shows him married to Catherine and as a clerk at 145 Essex Street. His residence is given as 80 Chestnut St.
|viii.||Arthur Rand Adams, b. 05 May 1891, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 11 November 1896, Haverhill, Essex, MA|
|ix.||Amie Adams, b. 06 October 1893, Haverhill, Essex, MA; d. 25 November 1896, Haverhill, Essex, MA|
 A Genealogical History of Robert Adams of Newbury, MA by Andrew N. Adams, published 1900 by the Tuttle Co., Rutland, VT; p.457
 Haverhill Directory of 1874 gives a listing for Fred Adams, a teller at Haverhill National Bank
A martlet is a heraldic charge depicting a stylized bird with short tufts of feathers in the place of legs. Swifts, formerly also called martlets, have such small legs that they were believed to have none at all.
The inability of the martlet to land is often seen to symbolize the constant quest for knowledge and learning.
It has been suggested that this same restlessness is the reason for the use of the martlet in English heraldry as the cadency mark of the fourth son: the first son inherited the estate, the second and third traditionally went into the Church and the Army, and the fourth had no well-defined place.
As the fourth son received no part of the family wealth and had to earn his own, the martlet was also a symbol of hard work, perseverance, and a nomadic household.
John22 Adams (Joseph Henry21, John20, JOHN19, ISRAEL18, SARAH17, ABRAHAM16, ROBERT15, ROBERT14, RICHARD13, JOHN12, JOHN11, JOHN10, THOMAS9, ROGER8, JOHN AP7, JOHN AP6, THOMAS AP5, JOHN AP4, WILLIAM AP3, JOHN AP2, JOHN AP1) was born 05 September 1825 in Boston, Suffolk, MA, and died 11 September 1869 in Boston, Suffolk, MA. He married Mary Bond? Hill April 1852 in Boston, MA, daughter of William Hill and Phebe Moar. She was born 04 November 1828 in Andover, Essex, MA.
Notes for John Adams:
BIRTH-DEATH: Letter from Ridgewood Cemetery giving dates of birth and death. He is buried in Lot 304, Pl 3. This is the plot purchased by Joseph Henry Adams, 8 grave plot, for $15.00 on 19 May 1865. His mother, father and brother, Frederick Sheridan Adams, are also buried here. At the time of his death, John Adams, his wife and son were residing at No. 9 Staniford St., Boston, MA. He was working as a clerk for his father, according to the Boston Directory of 1865. No record has been found concerning his wife, Mary. Rumor has it that she died shortly after her husband, but no confirming evidence has been found.
Notes for Mary Bond Hill:
She is not listed in the Boston Census of 1870 at the address where they were living when her husband died. It is not known whether she remarried or when and where she died. Rumor has it that she died shortly after her husband, but no confirming evidence has been found.
Child of John Adams and Mary Hill is:
|i.||John Frederick23 Adams, b. 08 January 1853, Boston, Essex, MA; d. 02 February 1926, Haverhill, Essex, MA; m. Amie Batcheller Kelly, 06 June 1876|
 A Genealogical History of Robert Adams of Newbury, MA by Andrew N. Adams, published 1900 by the Tuttle Co., Rutland, VT; p.301
 Vital Records of Andover, MA